Water, the Elixir of life:
I was first introduced to natural free running spring water by an old friend of mine who lived near the Malvern Hills. The first time I tasted fresh spring water I was amazed at the different light quenching taste (do a taste test, you will realise that normal tap water just tastes dead compared to live fresh water).
Over the last couple of years in my quest for cleaner living, changing my families drinking water was the next logical step for my family’s well being. I found a website called:
Where I was delighted to find a local spring still in use. My family and I enjoy taking a trip to that local spring, filling up our bottles and taking it home to enjoy fresh, mineral filled and unprocessed healthy live water. Lots of water nowadays has been through other human bodies then put through a chemical processing system. The water from your tap contains synthetic hormones which have come into the water through the urine of women who have ingested pharmaceutical contraceptives and this is shown to be impacting on the health of male fertility. Tap water is also the same water to come from the sewers – it’s just been cleaned with chlorine… Not a nice thought.
Water is our life force, we are 60% water. Fresh water is filled with vital minerals such as calcium and magnesium that help us to absorb other vitamins through our diet as well as flush out all the toxins in our bodies. If you have good, clean and healthy water this is exactly what it will be doing. Unfortunately, with tap water, it is my opinion that it is hard for your body to feel revitalised to the extent that I have noticed that I can still feel dehydrated even after drinking it. By drinking fresh spring water you get the vital minerals that your body needs and therefore you do not feel as if you are constantly thirsty.
The reasons my family limits our intake of tap water
Despite water being key to our health, an issue we face today is the quality of our water. Although you see water as crystal, clear, clean liquid unfortunately it is anything but. We require clean water to support our system and to flush out toxins. However, if you look at the data around the world on water analysis, what you find are worrying levels of heavy metals, pharmaceutical medicines and poisonous chemicals.
Did you know that most tap water is contaminated with a host of pollutants which increase your risk of serious health problems? The practice of making water safe to drink actually involves adding large amounts of extremely poisonous chemicals to it. Key scientists are now providing evidence that long-term ingestion of small amounts of chemicals like these could be the cause of some major health problems.
Contaminants in Tap Water
Tap water is treated with a large number of chemicals in order to kill bacteria and other microorganisms. In addition, it may contain other undesirable contaminants, such as toxic metal salts, hormones and pesticides, or it may become contaminated by chemicals or microbes within pipes (e.g. lead, bacteria, protozoa).
Here is a list of just a few of the chemicals routinely added to our water supply:
- Liquified chlorine
- Fluorosilicic acid
- Aluminium sulphate
- Calcium hydroxide
- Sodium silicofluoride
Typical Tap Water Content:
- Fluorine compounds
- Trihalomethanes (THMs)
- Salts of:
Understanding this issue:
Chlorine is a highly toxic and reactive element used to kill bacteria in the water. It is responsible for more household poisoning than any other toxin. Chlorine toxicity is linked to health problems such as heart attacks and cancers such as melanomas. According to a British toxins expert, Dr Paula Ballie-Hamilton, it appears that chlorine may be more of a problem for the health of women:
Those who drink chlorinated water are at higher risk of developing breast cancer. It seems that chlorine reacts with some of the substances in the water to form trihalomethanes, compounds linked to breast cancer. This cancer-inducing effect has been demonstrated in a study performed on women drinking chlorinated tap water in Louisiana.
The magazine, the New Scientist, reported that common chemicals from medications can be found in tap water including any, and at times all, of the following;
- Atenolol, a beta-blocker for cardiovascular disease
- Carbamazephine, a drug used to treat biopolar disorder
- Estrone, an oestrogen hormone secreted by the ovaries and linked to causing gender changes in fish
- Meprobamate, a tranquiliser used in psychiatry
- Naproxen, anti-inflammatory and painkiller linked to increases in asthma
- Cemfibrozile, an anti-cholesterol drug
- Phenytoin, a drug used to treat epilepsy
- Sulfamethoxazole, an antibiotic
- TCEP, an agent used in molecular biology
- Triethoprim, an antibiotic
All these medicines have got into your water through the waterways that then go back into the drinking water system. Researchers from the UK’s Centre for Ecology and Hydrology made the discovery when they analysed public sewage and water from two UK towns with a combined population of 214,000 over a period of 24 hours in 2009-2010. They discovered that around 600,000 courses of Tamiflu, prescribed to treat swine flu, were thrown down the toilet or not used at all which they estimate cost the tax payer £7.8 million in wasted drugs. This is because the drug only becomes active when consumed. What is most interesting is that the researchers were only testing for one drug but what would be the exact findings if they were testing for all the drugs on the market? I imagine it would make for surprising research for us all to hear how much of all these drugs were getting back into our drinking water.
Another very important health hazard is fluoride which is added by some water authorities in the UK and is also present in many toothpastes and mouthwashes. Around 10% of the UK’s water supply is fluoridated, despite a huge and ever-growing body of evidence that the science behind this mass medication programme is questionable to say the least.
Fluoridation of water is banned in all other European countries (see the Fluoride Action Network – Statements from European Health Authorities).
For still more information on the dangers of fluoride, visit these links: